165 years of satisfied clients...
Halliday Engineering was established in 1852 and with over 160 years of growth, research and development the company has earned a proud reputation across several market sectors, including the shipping, mining, power generation and manufacturing industries in Australia and further afield.
We maintain this reputation by providing a quality service in a safe working environment. Our core business divisions are:
- Ship repairs (defence / commercial / luxury yachts)
- Marine & general engineering
- Plant maintenance and repairs
- Metal fabrication / design
- White metal bearing fabrication and repairs
- Glass coating
- Technical procurement & supply
The Halliday team consists of 34 qualified employees – engineers, machinists, fitters, boiler makers and apprentices, many with over 20 years’ service under their belt. We also employ trade qualified technical procurement specialists and multi-skilled office staff.
Our foundry and workshop is centrally located in Rozelle, Sydney – a stone’s throw from Sydney Harbour.
Our clients trust us to do the job properly and safely. We also offer a fast, efficient service, that is always on time and on budget.
- We offer specialist CLASS Approved marine and general engineering know-how and diverse capabilities
- Our clients receive professional attention, and a point of contact
- We can handle large projects and, by arrangement, also meet challenging deadlines
- One-stop-shop – from design to disposal, knowledgeable and approachable staff help solve your headaches
- ISO 9001:2015 QMS Certification
Halliday Engineering comprises a great team of men and women who pride themselves on quality workmanship and genuine customer service. We’re here to solve engineering problems; have 165 years of continual business operation behind us – and there are few companies that can match our reputation.
Here’s what our clients have to say:
- Attractive pricing and fit for purpose solutions
- Stringent environmental policy and practices, design and drawing capability and cradle-to-grave reporting capabilities
- Reputation and reliability – proud history and strong present day client list
- Our pick-up and delivery capability, resources, mobile cranes, workshops and fleet of trucks on hand
- The availability of skilled labour and our proximity to Sydney’s wharves and ports
- Our swift breakdown response capability
- Quality systems and procedures including Lloyds In Class Accreditation and 6G Welding
- Royal Australian Navy approved standards – Objective Quality Evidence (OQE)
- $20m Public Liability, Professional Indemnity and Workers Compensation insurance
- Because no one else can do it!
Following an arduous three months at sea, Charles Halliday arrived in Sydney in 1852. An adventurous Scotsman and a Pattern Maker and Mill Wright by trade, he set to making a new life in Australia and together with 2 colleagues from P.N. Russel & Co, he established ‘The Sydney Machine Engineering Company’ in Bathurst Street Sydney.
Business was good, the company moved to larger premises in Pyrmont, and amidst a bustling economy Charles later bought out his partners and so formed ‘Hallidays Engine Works’. Now described by the media as an ‘Industrial Pioneer’, Charles was also included in the ‘Man of Mark’ book of distinguished gentlemen.
At the turn of the century, Charles’ seven sons took over their ageing father’s business, and struggled under very difficult times as the Bubonic Plague swept through Sydney. This forced many shipping terminals to temporarily close and or relocate.
In the following years the company moved from foundry work to more engineering focused work. Four sons withdrew from the Company, leaving three (William, Charles Jnr and John), who renamed the Company ‘Halliday Brothers’. When William and Charles passed away, all was left to John and his six sons (who served their apprenticeship with the firm).
A major milestone was achieved when ‘Halliday Brothers’ repaired and refitted the ‘Berrima’, the first troop ship to leave Australia for New Guinea in World War 1. During both World Wars, Halliday Brothers carried out repairs on hundreds of Australian and international ships engaged in War. Relocating to Sussex Street in 1963 Halliday Brothers concentrated on marine and general engineering repairs.
The final workshop move to 26 Mansfield Street, Rozelle occurred in 1980. Robert Halliday (5th Generation), employed by Halliday Brothers since 1974, together with a partner (Allen Perry) offered to buy out the shareholders.
The takeover occurred in 1983 and all employees were retained. Like his forefathers, Robert was a skilled tradesmen having done his fitter / machinist apprenticeship with AUSN (Australian Union Steamship Navigation Company) from 1965-1969. Allen Perry left the company three years later and the company was renamed ‘Halliday Engineering Pty Ltd’, as it stands today.
Through many years of hard work and ‘blood, sweat and tears’, Robert and his wife Jenny have successfully managed to make the company the success it is today. And now with a sixth generation Halliday at the helm, Robert and Jenny’s son Luke is proudly continuing this tradition.
Today, the company boasts a diligent team of 34 employees, a strong and expanding client list, and a well-earned reputation as a versatile, can-do engineering service provider. Our clients often say that our versatility is invaluable, and few companies can offer the range of services and quality that we offer today.
WORK WITH US
Halliday Engineering Pty Ltd is a well established Australian owned company based in Rozelle, Sydney. We design, fabricate and repair plant and marine assets for the defence, shipping, mining and power generation sectors in Australia and further afield. We also assist clients with their technical procurement and supply needs.
Halliday Engineering has a proud history, dating back to 1852, and the company continues this tradition by bringing together great teams of people to deliver great work for our clients. We provide cost effective engineering solutions that help our clients meet their diverse business needs, within an WHS environment of zero harm.
- Boilermakers / Fabricators
- Fitters and turners
- Skilled office staff
- Mechanical engineers
- Procurement Specialists
- Licenced truck drivers, riggers and trades assistants
Although we don’t have vacancies all the time, if you’re a skilled and enthusiastic applicant able to demonstrate your abilities, please drop us a line.
Experience across the ship building and repair, plant maintenance, general engineering or specialist welding sectors will be looked upon favourably.
We look for people who:
- Can take ownership of their role
- Have a high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Have a positive and friendly attitude
- Are hard-working and energetic
- Can work as part of a team or unsupervised
- Can confidently work at heights or in confined spaces
- Are able to work on a range of job sites
- Can obtain site security clearances and police checks
If this sounds like you, please send your CV and a brief cover letter to email@example.com